Team 5K in 50 States

Team 5K in 50 States: Hannah and Auntie Jennie

Running Buddies: Auntie Shauna, Owen (brother), Dad (Justin), and Uncle Greg.

Cheerleaders: Mom (Nicole), Grandma, Grandpa, Ava (AKA Suzy-Q, cousin), Baby Kaelyn (cousin), Grammy Farr, and Grandpa Tom.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Mayors 5 Miler, Kids Run, and Half Marathon


The Mayors Run was a whole family running affair as we had a total of 6 runners.  Hannah, Justin, and I ran the 5.6 mile run (AKA 5 miler), Auntie Shauna and Owen ran the 1.7 mile kids race, and Uncle Greg ran the Half Marathon (13.1 miles).

The Half Marathon and 5 miler runners started together at 9am and was warm, but not too hot.  Justin ran with Hannah and I for a while to make sure my leg was going to hold up for the race; however, if my leg was going fail, I figured it might be around mile 4...The first two miles went by really fast, but boy did mile 3 go by slow.  When Hannah and I reached mile 4, she got her second wind. Many people recognized us from our other races and we even ran into one of our blog followers...Hannah just loves that :) 

Hannah was able to kick it into high gear up the final hill.  When we crossed the finish line, Hannah asked me what our time was.  I told her our time was 55:18 and she said, "awww that's slower than our last time."  When I told her the race was 5.6 miles, she squealed and started jumping up and down.  Hannah finished 1st place in her age group of 9 and under!

Justin finished the 5 miler (his first 5 mile race) a couple minutes before Hannah and I.  Auntie Shauna and Owen finished the kids race in 22 minutes.  Hannah finished the same race last year in 23 minutes so we might just have another little up and coming runner....way to go Owen!!!  Uncle Greg finished the half marathon in 1:26:46, which placed him 17th overall out of 1800!  It was a great race for everyone :)


Hannah and I have started some serious hill training to work on our speed.  Our next 5K is the Bear Paw race on July 9th.  Our goal for this race is 26 minutes...stay tuned for our race time!

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your site because I am planning on doing 5k's in all 50 states as well. Congrats to all of you for doing such an amazing job! Maybe I will see you at a race!
    Tricia
    geekyexplorers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Miss Hannah and Aunt Jen on a shuttle at DFW today. Amazing story! And a more amazing girl! Hannah, I look forward to hearing your name called as an Olympic gold medal is placed around your neck! I pray the Lord blesses your every step.
    Andi Gowin
    Poulsbo, WA

    ReplyDelete